Overslaan en naar de inhoud gaan

Information for students from Aruba, Curaçao, St. Maarten and the Caribbean Netherlands for registration in the Personal Records Database

If you are going to the Netherlands as a student, you must take care of some things before you can study there. One of them is registration in the Personal Records Database (in Dutch: Basisregistratie Personen, hereinafter the BRP). If as a student you want to go study in the Netherlands for a period longer than four months, you must be registered as a resident in the municipality in the Netherlands where you are going to live.

This fact sheet contains several guidelines to facilitate this registration in the Netherlands.

Step 1. Deregistration from the PIVA is required

You must deregister from the population register (PIVA) within 10 days of your departure. You can do this at the Census Office. The proof of deregistration is one of the documents you need to register in the Personal Records Database (BRP) in the Netherlands. When you deregister, you will have to specify the Dutch municipality where you will be living. The Census Office will send your file to that municipality.

Please note: if you register with a different Dutch municipality than the one you specified when deregistering, your registration in the BRP may be delayed for a few weeks because your file has to be forwarded to another municipality.

Step 2. Appointment for registration in the BRP

Before you leave, find out whether you can make an appointment to register in the BRP at the Dutch municipality where you are going to live. You must register in the BRP of the municipality where you are going to live within 5 days of arriving in the Netherlands. Check the municipality’s website to see if you can make an appointment in advance.

Tip: ask the municipality where you are going to live or the educational institution where you are going to study whether they organise registration days for students. Sometimes municipalities have separate appointments or registration days for students to register in the BRP. Schools sometimes also make agreements with municipalities about this.

Step 3. Documents for registration in the BRP

Documents you always need:

  • a valid passport
  • the original proof of deregistration from the population register (PIVA)
  • proof of address in the Netherlands, e.g. a copy of the rental contract or a signed letter and copy of the identity document of the main occupant as proof that you can live there for the time being

A municipality may also ask for:

  • a birth certificate: apply for it from the Census Office in the place where you were born. Bring the original certificate with you to the Netherlands. If you have not been legally acknowledged by your parent, you will also need a birth certificate to apply for student grants. If you were not born in the Caribbean part of the Kingdom, make sure you apply for a (foreign) birth certificate in time and have it legalised and translated if necessary. For more information, see nederlandwereldwijd.nl
  • a housing permit: some municipalities require a housing permit if you rent social housing or move in with someone who has social housing. You can apply for a housing permit from the municipality before registering in the BRP.

Step 4. Citizen Service Number (BSN) application form

If you applied for a student grant, DUO will have sent you a ‘Notice of student grant’ and the ‘BSN Application Form’ by post. Bring the form with you to the Netherlands.

Step 5. Register with the BRP and receive your BSN

Register with the BRP of the municipality where you will be living within 5 days of arriving in the Netherlands. Make an appointment with the municipality for this. Registration in the BRP is compulsory if you stay in the Netherlands for longer than 4 months. After registration, you will receive a Citizen Service Number (BSN), which you will need to apply for a DigiD, online benefits and to open a Dutch bank account.

Please note: it can take up to 4 weeks before you receive your BSN from the municipality. The municipality will post it to you at the address where you registered

Step 6. Open a Dutch bank account

Once you have your BSN, you can open a Dutch bank account. If you can only open a bank account online, you will need a Dutch passport with your BSN in it. If you don’t have one, make an appointment at a branch of the bank.

Step 7. Apply for a DigiD

With a BSN, you can also apply for a DigiD (digital identification). Use the DigiD app or the ‘DigiD Application Form’. A DigiD verifies who you are and makes it easier to arrange things online, for example, with the government.

Step 8. Provide DUO with your BSN and bank account number

Use the ‘BSN Application’ form to provide DUO
with your BSN and Dutch bank account number. DUO needs this information to allocate the student travel product and register you for My DUO. DUO can use the bank account number to pay out your study grant.

Where to go

Important adresses

Contact for registering in the BRP

If you want more information about registration in the BRP and the documents you need before your departure, please get hold of the local contact person.
Aruba: info@censo.aw
Curacao: info.bsbv@gobiernu.cw
St. Maarten: burgerzakensxm@sintmaartengov.org
Bonaire: burgerzaken@bonairegov.com
St. Eustatius: census.office@statiagov.com
Saba: censusmail@sabagov.nl

Useful links and information

Dienst Uitvoering Onderwijs (DUO; Education Executive Agency)
To apply for or with questions about student finance.

Rijksdienst Caribisch Nederland
Information about studying in the Netherlands and the start-up grant.


The Education Department of the Arubahuis provides information and orientation to students from Aruba before their departure to the Netherlands. In the Netherlands, they assist in the welcoming and support of students with study loans from Aruba. There is a study mentor in each Dutch region who advises students.
arubalening@ea.aw (student loan)

Stichting Studiefinanciering Curaçao (SSC)

In Curaçao, the SSC takes care of the application for study financing for students from Curaçao. The department in the Netherlands welcomes, supports and provides housing for students. Each region in the Netherlands has mentors who advise students.

Division Study Financing Sint Maarten (DSF)

DSF regulates additional study financing for students from Sint Maarten. There are mentors and buddies in the Netherlands who support and advise students with student loans from Sint Maarten.

If you have questions about registration in the BRP in the Netherlands or getting a BSN, contact RvIG at info@rvig.nl or +31 (0)88 900 1000.

Click here for pdf document


Scroll naar boven